The Heart of the Coffee Region's Cultural Landscape
Pereira is a city known for its friendly people and privileged geographic position. As a hub of the Coffee Triangle, Pereira is a place where the business and industry of Colombia's central region converge. Its infrastructure for connectivity by road and air makes the city an excellent destination for the realization of such an important event.
Location and Geography
Pereira Municipality is located at 4 degrees 49 minutes north latitude and 75 degrees 42 minutes west longitude, at 1,411 meters above sea level. Pereira is in the heart of the western region of Colombia’s national territory in a small valley abutting the Central Cordillera mountain range.
The average temperature of Pereira is 21° centigrade. The city has an area of 702 Km2 and a population of 488,839 people of whom 410,535 inhabit 19 urban districts and 78,304 inhabit 12 rural villages.
Pereira: Interesting Facts
One of the most notable features of Pereira is the huge César Gaviria Trujillo viaduct. At about four hundred and forty meters long, it is one of the longest bridges of its kind in South America. The bridge is the main connector to the neighboring city of Dos Quebradas and demonstrates the engineering challenges encountered when working in this mountainous part of Colombia.
Places of interest
The city offers incredible tourist attractions that will make your visit an unforgettable experience, enhanced by a cup of the world's best coffee, such as:
- Viaduct César Gaviria Trujillo (uniting Pereira with Dos Quebradas)
- Plaza de Bolívar and Simon Bolívar monument
- Our Lady of the Poor Cathedral
- Ukumarí Biopark (Flora and fauna theme park)
- Technological University of Pereira (home to a planetarium and botanical garden)
- Lucy Tejada Cultural Center
- Pereira Museum of Art
- Jaime Mejia Archaeological Museum
- Circunvalar Avenue, a high-end shopping boulevard
- Unicentro, the largest mall in the Coffee Region
- Otún Quimbaya Flora & Fauna Sanctuary
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima
- Los Nevados National Natural Park
- Hot springs in Santa Rosa de Cabal
- National Coffee Park
- The quaint and picturesque town of Salento
- Marseille Botanical Garden